Some state Republicans change abortion techniques
Republicans solid 12-week bans as ‘mainstream,’ whereas Democrats fiercely oppose them
- And so one of the vital closely focused Republicans, state Sen. Michael Leewrote an op-ed within the Wilmington Star-News earlier than the election voicing his assist for abortion bans within the second and third trimesters, however not earlier than.
- Republicans stored the proposal a secret till the final potential minute, which was partly to forestall GOP hard-liners from making an attempt to amend the invoice to make it extra restrictive, in line with the particular person accustomed to inner discussions.
- State Sen. Ben Hansen, the state’s well being chair, started assessing whether or not any abortion restrictions might be introduced again this yr.
- Native antiabortion teams described “tough” and “emotional” conversations about how early in being pregnant the state might realistically ban abortion.
- And Riepe, the holdout on the ban earlier in being pregnant, spoke at the very least 3 times — and exchanged quite a few texts — with Gov. Jim Pillen (R), who he mentioned was insistent on getting stricter abortion legal guidelines handed.
As one other S.C. abortion vote looms, GOP ladies rebuke the boys
Biden and McCarthy set to renew talks on debt restrict
Simply bought off the telephone with the president whereas he’s in a foreign country.
My place has not modified. Washington can not proceed to spend cash we would not have on the expense of youngsters and grandchildren.
Tomorrow, he and I’ll meet in particular person to proceed negotiations.
— Kevin McCarthy (@SpeakerMcCarthy) May 21, 2023
#state #Republicans #change #abortion #techniques, 1684767457