Main antiabortion group makes a 15-week ban its political litmus check
Home Republicans grapple with how far to go on abortion
- The group’s resolution creates a brand new litmus check for antiabortion lawmakers that a lot of them won’t move. Simply 101 Home Republicans — lower than half of the convention — co-sponsored a bill final yr launched by Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-N.J.) to limit abortion nationwide at 15 weeks gestation.
- Democrats, who credit score the backlash towards the Supreme Court docket’s resolution putting down Roe v. Wade with serving to them to overperform within the midterms, are desperate to go after susceptible Republicans who help Smith’s invoice — however they’ll additionally assault Republicans in swing districts who don’t again Smith’s invoice over their help for different antiabortion measures.
- “Weak Home Republicans have already made their excessive anti-choice information clear, and this new litmus check is simply one other reminder that they’re out-of-touch with the vast majority of Individuals,” Courtney Ricea Democratic Congressional Marketing campaign Committee spokeswoman, stated in an announcement.
- “I feel it’s very weak that they didn’t,” Dannenfelser stated, referring to Home Republican leaders, although she added that she’s grateful for the antiabortion bills Republicans have voted on.
- “It was disappointing to see Congress not move these commonsense protections but,” stated Roger Severinoa vp on the Heritage Basis, a conservative suppose tank, who served within the Trump administration. “After the 50-year combat to overturn Roenow could be the time for pro-life politicians to comply with by on their long-standing commitments.”
- “I help it,” stated Rep. Nancy Mace (R-S.C.). “I’m a co-sponsor of it. It’s acquired all of the exceptions (for rape, incest and to avoid wasting the lifetime of the mom). However I feel it sends the incorrect message proper now.”
- “We have to steadiness out, from a coverage perspective, defending the proper to life and defending ladies’s rights,” she added.
- “It’s ironic, as a result of SBA simply two years in the past was endorsing a 20-week ban,” Mace stated. “So that they’re transferring the objective posts,” utilizing an expletive to explain what she considered transferring the objective posts.
Moderna’s billionaire CEO reaped almost $400 million final yr. Then he acquired a elevate.
- The corporate’s windfall earnings have drawn criticismtogether with from members of Congress, notably as a result of it benefited from $1.7 billion in taxpayer funding and help from the Nationwide Institutes of Well being to assist it develop its lifesaving vaccine.
Tennessee provides slender exceptions to strict abortion ban
In the meantime, throughout the nation …
#Main #antiabortion #group #15week #ban #political #litmus #check, 1682945432